How to Make Exporting Simple (part 1)
Many years ago I heard a saying that has stuck with me in business ever since. It is now a proven maxim by which I live! It goes, “When you are thirsty, have a glass of water, don’t drink the ocean!”
In other words, don’t overwhelm yourself in enthusiasm for accomplishing a goal. Instead, take it one step at a time and use the following steps:
- Set a plan... start with the end in mind! (define what size of glass and how many glasses of water you need to quench your thirst)
- Follow incremental steps to achieve that plan (have a drink one glass at a time)
- Successfully complete each step you ID’d to finish your task (when you have drunk all your glasses of water, you will no longer be thirsty)
So why is this important in business? Have you ever thought about what it means to be successful? Success is not about becoming the next “Unicorn” business to take the world by storm. It is the realization that we can move mountains a little bit at a time if we work hard day in and day out.
As we apply this thought to international exports and shipping cargo internationally, there is a direct correlation to the analogy above. Those who ship internationally have figured out how to tackle issues like:
- booking a carrier,
- engaging with a NVOCC or freight forwarder,
- arranging pick-up for your goods,
- arranging delivery of your goods once overseas,
- potential port and destination fees,
For those that export their merchandise to international markets, figuring this out has to not only been accomplished, but it has been accomplished in a way that is manageable and achievable. For many people, especially small businesses with limited resources and manpower, this challenge can be quite literally overwhelming. Yet the truth of the matter is that the process is pretty straight forward and consists of many small, well-defined and easily accomplished, tasks. At Xport, we have distilled some of the most fundamental steps towards achieving success on an international stage. Visit our education and resources page at www.xportforwarding.com to find out more!
The Xport Guide to Next-Generation International Shipping
Innovation Begins With Inspiration!
The XPort blog brings you next-generation ideas to build a lasting source of competitive advantage for your company. Dedicated to unraveling the many secrets of the International Shipping Industry, this blog will help readers:
- export goods with ease
- optimize core business services
- build strategies for generating revenue
- stay synch'ed with industry thought leaders